In 1987 the church was entered onto the National Register of Historic Places, and in 1989 and 1990 the aging building was restored. The original red color was uncovered, and the church was returned to its 1868 appearance. The altar was made in England and is the original altar of the church, built in 1868.
The church design is Carpenter Gothic, featuring the unusual curved roof and intricate beam-work of that style. To achieve the vertical emphasis of the Gothic style, the distinctive “board and batten” construction technique was used. Diamond-shaped panes in the rectangular windows also draw the eye upward. The nave windows are substantially original. Only a few panes of authentic reproduction glass are replacements. The stained glass panes behind the altar are concave in order to catch the light and send it purely into the place of worship. The window behind the altar – with its intricately mullioned handmade stained glass – is embedded in a gothic arch. The bell tower, added only a few years after the church was finished, features a large rose window. The original oil chandeliers remain in place, now wired for electricity. When they were electrified, the reservoirs were emptied but not cleaned out, so the coal oil residue is still visible. The wall on the north side of the church adjacent to the altar has a peephole through which the first rector, Joshua Knowles could view the congregation while vesting for the service.
An adjacent two-story building, that in part houses the Activity Center, was a gift from Citizens Union Bank (now Bank South) in 1998. The addition to this building of a modern kitchen facility in 1999, and further refurbishing in 2002, make the Activity Center ideal for church coffee hour, special dinners, meetings, and special events. Adult Sunday School is held in the Activity Center, which also houses the rector’s and administrative offices.
The Parish House sits on the north side of the church and is the home of the Children’s Center. It is also equipped with a small kitchen.
The grounds of the church consist of the Remembrance Garden, the Memorial Garden, the graves of Redeemer’s first rector, the Reverend Joshua Knowles and his wife, as well as the surrounding lawn and landscape.
All of the church properties are overseen by the Junior Warden and the Buildings and Grounds Committee. Many dedicated church members work regularly to keep the church and grounds in pristine condition.